In 1935, Elsa Schiaparelli opened her Couture House in the Hôtel de Fontpertuis, at the legendary address of 21, Place Vendôme. She called upon Jean-Michel Franck for the decoration, and entrusted to Alberto Giacometti the making of certain pieces such as this floor lamp with a plaster shade. He also created bronze lamps as well as vases, chandeliers and candlesticks in plaster for her.
Schiaparelli remains to this day the only French Couture House in the Place Vendôme, and the Giacometti columns still grace its showrooms.
Alberto Giacometti (in association with Jean-Michel Franck)
© Succession Alberto Giacometti / Fondation Alberto et Annette Giacometti, Paris / ADAGP, Paris